Sunday, September 30, 2007

Commercial Tunes

In June, I mentioned a great singer-songwriter named Ingrid Michaelson. Well she has done it again and this time, she is the voice of the new Old Navy commercial. Such a sweet song called "The Way I Am." I'm totally loving it! Here are the lyrics from her site (www.ingridmichaelson.com) and she has some video links there too. I think she is definitely on her way!

If you were falling, then I would catch you.
You need a light, I'd find a match.
Cuz I love the way you say good morning.
And you take me the way I am.
If you are chilly, here take my sweater.
Your head is aching, I'll make it better.
Cuz I love the way you call me baby.
And you take me the way I am.
I'd buy you Rogaine if you start losing all your hair.
Sew on patches to all you tear.
Cuz I love you more than I could ever promise.
And you take me the way I am.
You take me the way I am.
You take me the way I am.

My mom also pointed out another sweet commercial song, this one from JC Penney (sense a theme here...TV and shopping!). The band is Forever Thursday which is really Melanie Hornsnell and producer Elliot Wheeler. There are lyrics and a video link on their myspace site: http://www.myspace.com/foreverthursdaymusic. Although Australian, Melanie has a 1950s style sweetness and bounce to her song.

HP used The Kinks' song "Picture Book" for their campaign for digital photography products back in mid-2004 (Wow...has it been that long?). "Picture Book" is from the Kinks' 1968 album The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society. The campaign won "Campaign of the Year" in the February 7, 2005 issue of Adweek magazine.

My dad a field day with the Wiseguys' song "Start the Commotion" from a Mitsubishi ad a while back. Mitsubishi is all about making bands famous...they gave some mainstream notoriety to Groove Armada and their song "I See You Baby" but I have a song of theirs on a Pottery Barn CD that I like better because its more mellow. I'm also a fan of the Dirty Vegas song "As Days Go By" (and you'll find a funny video on utube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKUlY9S_OW0) and the import single offers a cool acoustic version. I'm sad to say that I don't know which car it is for but Mitsubishi also has an that has a great song by Telepopmusik called "Just Breathe." If you are a fan of Kanye West (I'm not) they use his song "Stronger." Art of the mix has a whole list of Mitsubishi advertisement songs at http://www.artofthemix.org/FindAMix/getcontents.asp?strmixid=35408.

I don't even want to go about the Gap ads...they are so cute. Patrick Wilson and Claire Danes doing the "I can do better" theme in the ad for the boyfriend trouser, the Gap ad for khaki's featuring "Jump, Jive and Wail," and of course, the holiday Gap ads using "Sleigh Ride" and (especially the combo with "Cool It Now"). Fantastic.

Finally, the new Ipod Nano commercial features "1234" by Feist, who is Canadian Leslie Feist. On September 28th, you may have caught her on World Cafe, NPR's daily interview and in-studio performance broadcast (http://worldcafe.org) or you can check out her page (http://www.listentofeist.com) and hear "1234" at http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1156010133/bclid756025629/bctid751384420.

No comments: