Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Summer Vaca Recommends



Having just spent a week on the beach of Lake Michigan, I know I have a lot of recommends to share but most of them have gone out the window, or maybe off the hammock.

I did enjoy a few things, guilty pleasures if you will.

Real Simple magazine. Always a very useful read. There are tips, recipes, health related stories and a variety of things to use right away and file for future projects. My favorite items are the recipes, usually with some kind of theme like summer foods or new vegetable preparations, and the HBA products they test and rate, like sunscreen.

I'm so in love with author Gabrielle Zevin. Her second book in the series hasn't been published but I got an ARC at ALA. It's called "Because It is My Blood." This is the continuation of "All These Things I've Done" and I am happy to learn more about Anya Ballenchine, the strong lead character, daughter of the deceased mob boss and heir to a black market chocolate empire.

The Olympics were on so I watched a lot of that, except track and field because I'm not a fan of those sports, but two of my fav shows (the only kind of reality shows I would watch--cooking and sewing) are back! Top Chef Masters and Project Runway, Season 10. Although I'm not connecting with too many contestants this go round, they are always fun to watch. I am happy to see Tim Gunn back -- and he has a new book out -- and some of my fav chefs including Luc, the Chef in the Hat. I am hoping I can get a reservation at his restaurant when I'm back in Seattle at the end of the month. On the television drama side, I'm sad to see Brenda Lee Johnson and "The Closer" end their run, Rizzoli & Isles is also coming to a close this season but I'm looking forward to welcoming "Grimm" back!

My dad had a few nice bottles of Zinfandel, 7 Deadly Zins. It is a great addition to a meal of beef or pork and nicely priced. Always a good gift to bring to a party.

The Karaoke Kab! What can I say? At my sister's bachelorette party, we had a little further to go to find the dance club and my cousin Molly made the night. Turns out that there is a miniva/cab that you can ride for $3pp and it will take you where you need to go as you sing your heart out following the words on the screen. Why yes...we did do a fantastic rendition of "Don't Stop Believing" and "Baby Got Back" among a few other favorites. It was such great fun even if we aren't, unlike Molly professed, taking it to Broadway.

The ride followed by cheesy dance songs, yes please! I am feeling good about the fact that I was all up on the dance music. Nicki Minaj, Pitbull, Flo Rida and some new boy bands...Fun, One Direction and The Wanted. All in good fun.

Now it's back to the ranch. Hope you had a great summer vacation too!




No comments: