Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Holiday! Part One

Even though the one radio station I get on my shower radio plays some really random songs, and my title might indicate that I heard Madonna this morning and not INXS, Extreme, or Guns 'n Roses, I actually am thinking back to some of the things that I did not write over these past weeks. Normally I am knee deep in the festivus spirit but found that my work stress sort of make me jump the shark this past holiday season.

So here are a few of the things that I do every Christmas or before Christmas just as soon the clock ticks December first.

Movies. These are an absolute must. For the past several years, there was a series on Lifetime (Fa la la la la Lifetime) which plays every sad, sappy, torn apart family holiday melodrama, rom com and kids movie you can remember. There are a few that I really love, and yes, you can actually purchase them on Amazon if you try. "Recipe for a Perfect Christmas" tells the story of the up and coming food writer whose mother returns to town at the same time that she meets a chef also looking for his break. Hallmark does a couple great ones..."A Season for Miracles" and "Silver Bells." I must admit that while I totally love the Hallmark-ABC Family-Lifetime-other cable movie run at the holiday, there are several family classics that I will watch and then watch again when I get up to Michigan and join the rest of the family. "Love Actually" tops the list. Seriously, which of the story lines is the best because the whole movie is just great. Plus the soundtrack is excellent. Old flashback--yes all of these children are now adults--is "All I Want For Christmas" where the two kids of a recently divorced couple try to get their parents back together so everyone can have a happy holiday. I had to actually search this out on VHS and then hunt down DVDs on ebay. Lauren Bacall plays a New York Theatre legend and can still wow the crowd. The next one is a family girls vs. guys battle. The girls all love "The Ref"--laugh out loud funny. I could quote lines forever. Denis Leary is genius and let's not forget Kevin Spacey and Judy Davis. For some unknown reason, my two brother-in-laws do not appreciate the humor. But I swear, it is a Christmas classic. Old classics? "Holiday Inn" and "White Christmas" Serious singalong movies. New classics? "Home Alone", "The Santa Clause", and "Elf"! Will Ferrell is a genius. "Miracle on 34th Street" both old and remake, "Christmas Vacation" may be one of the top 3 and to round it out, "Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas." Jim Henson's lovable puppets tell a holiday story that never grows old.

Music. I don't even know where to start. The best Christmas album is the very first "A Very Special Christmas" and my favorite song is Sting's "Gabriel's Message." It sounds like raindrops moving through a golden curtain. Lovely and haunting. The whole album is amazing...Stevie Nicks, U2 and even Run DMC which makes me want to have "Christmas in Hollis." I am not sure that I can name all the fantastic Christmas albums. I seriously grew up with albums...Julie Andrews's Christmas album that was pink with a fake red bow and it was played on the record player. First it was Amy Grant and those with lots of range. These days it seems that everyone releases a holiday album. Kristen Chenoweth put out one last year (lovely), Michael Buble (festive) and have you heard the albums from Straight, No Chaser? Fun-upbeat-love! Every retail outlet from Pottery Barn to Pier One to Starbucks has Christmas albums now and the compilations are absolutely charming. Don't forget the movie soundtracks...as I mentioned above "Love Actually" has a great one with a great rendition of "All I Want for Christmas." The "Elf" soundtrack is also a lot of fun. Favorite single songs? "Blue Christmas," "Silver Bells," "Merry Christmas Baby," "Santa Baby," "Sleigh Ride," "Marshmellow World" and the best...The Drifters "White Christmas." Those are more classics than contemporary so for 25 year of more modern songs, do check out the rest of  the set of "A Very Special Christmas" collection released a special 25th anniversary album this year too so check out the past 20+ years of some amazing music.

To Be Continued...


No comments: