Monday, January 21, 2013

Taking a Minute

So I have started trying to get back into the practice of writing. It is both hard and easy at the same time. When I feel stressed or sad, it is hard to write. I need creativity to fuel creativity but it also may be that the hardest thing about writing is the honesty. If I want to just write, I can do that--you lose yourself in a world that is more of an expanded reality. That is sort of the beauty of writing. It is the reason that I have been writing since the second grade. The challenging part for a person like me is that it can be a slippery slope. The idea of creative writing is to be able to move seamlessly back and forth but that in itself can be challenging. So as I continuously think about what I really want to write, I will write about things that are sort of around me.

I saw Silver Linings Playbook yesterday. It was amazing, really well done. It's not the best movie I have ever seen but it had some honest, poignant moments. I was impressed by the acting-- less about Jennifer Lawrence being Vanity Fair's most desirable woman and Bradley Cooper being People's sexiest man alive. I appreciated that. Sure they were good looking but they were also knee deep in it and the performances felt real. I also appreciated that a mainstream film chose to present family issues and mental illness as not a debilitating mess but something to work through and work on. I liked that they showed a variety of family relationships like the OCD father, the sensitive mother and the "friend" couple with some power-struggle issues. Plus I love football (lots and lots of Philly Eagles in this movie.)

One of the other things that I really liked about the film is that there were some moments that Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence) just spoke her mind. I really appreciated that. I wish that there were more moments where we all could be so truthful. I don't feel that as a woman that my honestly or candor may be appreciated. It is the challenge of the modern day. It doesn't always help personal relationships. The dance about what to say and what not to say, and when. At least in the movies you know that whatever they say (and do) will be wrapped up somewhat in about two hours. It reminded me of another movie I love so much...The Family Stone. There is a point where Sarah Jessica Parker--the girlfriend--yells back at the mom and sister..."what makes you all so great. you're not so great" and Diane Keaton says "I know, but we're all we have." I think that is what I love best about my family. No matter what, they are there. We might complain about each other sometimes and God knows that you need to be prepared to everyone all up in your business. But "we're all we got" (even though we've added a few over the years) and I know that I am lucky in many ways. Knowing how many surrogate siblings we have had over the years (youngest or only children or child of a divorced family) there is something to be said about a big family, lots of love and support, laughter and stories.

So some of my recommends today are these. Go see Silver Linings Playbook. Also rewatch or rent Little Miss Sunshine. The Family Stone, Because I Said So and National Lampoon's Vacation. Start on season one of Downton Abbey, which you can download or get from the library and also Brothers & Sisters. Barefoot in the Park, Sixteen Candles, Sense & Sensibility, With Six You Get Eggroll and the original of Yours, Mine and Ours.

That should be enough to make you laugh, cry and think a little more.

No comments: