Thursday, October 26, 2006

Grandmothers Live in our Hearts

I had some sad news this week. My friend and college roommate Kate lost her dear Grandmother a week ago. Helen was a brilliant, spirited woman who had led an amazing life including heading up a dynamic family and was a great role model. She is someone you only had ot meet once to never forget her. My other college roommate and dear friend Missy also lost her Grandmother earlier this year and I lost my Grandmother last year. These were wonderful and amazing women who had families and taught them well and left us with memories in our hearts which will live on forever. So cheers to you Helen, Ruth and Betty. We love and miss you.


Of Heaven of Hell I have no power to sing,
I cannot ease the burden of your fears,
Or make quick-coming death a little thing,
Or bring again the pleasure of past years,
Nor for my words shall ye forget your tears,
Or hope again for aught that I can say,
The idle singer of an empty day.

But rather, when a weary of your mirth,
From full hearts still unsatisfied ye sigh,
And, feeling kindly unto all the earth,
Grudge every minute as it passes by,
Made the more mindful that the sweet days die-
Remember me a little then I pray,
The idle singer of an empty day.

The heavy trouble, the bewildering care
That weights us down who live and earn our bread,
These idle verses have no power to bear;
So let me sing of names remembered,
Because they, living not, can ne’er be dead,
Or long time take their memory quite away
From us poor singers of an empty day.
~William Morris

This bridge will only take you halfway there
To those mysterious lands you long to see:
Through gypsy camps and swirling Arab fairs
And moonlit woods where unicorns run free.
So come and walk awhile with me and share
The twisting trails and wondrous worlds I’ve known.
But this bridge will only take you halfway there-
The last few steps you’ll have to take alone
~Shel Silverstein

ONE OF A KIND
The funny beautiful lady That means so much to me May be gone from the land of the living But with me she will always be Because my memory holds her dearly And my pen recalls her ways And most of all I love her A love that always stays It stays inside my memory And is often on my mind Because a lady like my grandma Is rare and hard to find.
~Julie B. Bradstreet

No comments: