Thursday, October 19, 2006

In the Mix

I've been chatting with someone about music lately and it reminds me of some music sites that I want to share. The first is one my brother found. It gives the number one hit song each day of the year from 1950 on, in the United States and United Kingdom. He made a mix of all the songs from his birthday and it turned out pretty cool. There were some great songs there. The US number one on my birthday itself isn't so great but there are a bunch of great songs in the jukebox. Check it out: http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/member/birthdayno1.php

Remember all those mixed tapes we shared back in the 80s and 90s? We came up with the ideas on our own and some of them went down in history. My tape cases were made out of magazines that I cut up and I had some snazzy tape covers. There is a particularly good one from a J. Crew cover. I guess I'll have to go and see if I still have it somewhere, maybe next to those old 45 records. (Here's a trivia question: What was the first 45 that I bought? The answer: Boogie Nights. It was a pom pom routine song I was working on!) Anyway for those of you who have actually written down your mixes or shared them with others, you might find that they ended up on the web...check out http://www.artofthemix.org/index.asp. Maybe you never wrote any of them down but if you ever decide that you want them immortalized or you are looking for someone else's great mixes, check it out.

For a good music read, check out Jennifer O'Connell's "Off the Record"...ever wonder who the real 867-5309 Jenny is? You may get your answer in the book.

Rock on!

No comments: